Saturday, March 11, 2017

Rhetorical Questions

It seems the important questions in life are rhetorical.  You alway hear, "That's a rhetorical question."  You never hear anyone say, "That is a rhetorical answer!"  The Urban Dictionary tells us there is such a thing as a rhetorical answer:

An answer spoken to produce an effect and not necessarily to answer the actual question. A rhetorical answer may possibly be given in response to a rhetorical question, as a sort of counter-attack in a rhetorical battle.  (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rhetorical%20answer).  

Basically, a rhetorical answer is not an answer at all.  Rhetorical questions don't really have answers and quite often people aren't really expecting an answer.  There is power in simply asking.  As a chaplain I have said, "I don't have all of the answers but  I'm willing to explore the questions with you."

Here are some comments by Brennan:

The truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ...deserves to be accepted or rejected for what it is: an answer to the most fundamental questions a person may ask: Is life absurd or does it have a purpose? Jesus replies that not only do our lives have purpose but God has directly intervened in human affairs to make abundantly clear what that purpose is. What is the nature of Ultimate Reality? Jesus responds that the Really Real is generous, forgiving, saving love. In the end, will life triumph over death? With unshaken confidence Jesus answers, The kingdom of My Father cannot be overcome, even by death. In the end everything will be all right. Nothing can harm you permanently; no loss is lasting, no defeat more than transitory, no disappointment is conclusive. Suffering, failure, loneliness, sorrow, discouragement, and death will be part of your journey, but the kingdom of God will conquer all these horrors. No evil can resist grace forever. If you reject the ragamuffin gospel and turn your back on Christianity, do so because you find the answers of Jesus incredible, blasphemous, or hopelessly hopeful.

Manning, Brennan (2008-08-19). The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out (pp. 199-200). The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

I have lots of questions.  To me they are not rhetorical.  I want answers but they are the big questions that God doesn't answer, at least to my satisfaction.  He probably doesn't answer because, as a limited human, I don't have the capacity to understand.  Now I am intelligent and have an advanced degree.  So what!  What is that to God?  I think in asking the questions I am saying to God, "I know you have an answer."  Can I simply accept that and trust that things will work out okay?  I wish I could say that but I am not there right now.  "God will you help me with that?"  Now that is not a rhetorical question :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beginning The Second Journey

Beginning the Second Journey

  Friday, February 12, 2021 BEGINNING THE SECOND JOURNEY On September 17, 2010, I began my Second Journey. God is moving me in new direction...