Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ragamuffin Birthday

On this day in 1967 I came to faith in Jesus Christ.  By years I'm down the road quite a bit, but at times I feel I'm not as far down the road personally, whether in spirit or in recovery.  I'm my worst critic.  As we say in recovery, "My insides never match the outsides I see in others."  Others seem to have it together but so often I feel I don't.  That's why I am a Ragamuffin.  I don't have it completely together and seem a little dis-shuttled at times.

Yesterday was one of those "dis-shuttled" days and it has bled into today.  I need to keep in mind what I need to celebrate rather than what I would like to forget.

All of this reminds me of a quote from the Ragamuffin Gospel:



When I get honest, I admit I am a bundle of paradoxes. I believe and I doubt, I hope and get discouraged, I love and I hate, I feel bad about feeling good, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty. I am trusting and suspicious. I am honest and I still play games.

Manning, Brennan (2008-08-19). The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out (p. 25). The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

"Lord, help me to be honest when I want to play games.  Remind me that I am your "artwork" like Beethoven's unfinished symphony.  Help me to remain patient while you continue to work.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beginning The Second Journey

Beginning the Second Journey

  Friday, February 12, 2021 BEGINNING THE SECOND JOURNEY On September 17, 2010, I began my Second Journey. God is moving me in new direction...